1.8.06

On Books

1. One book that changed your life?

Rene Descartes 'Discourse on Method and Meditations on Natural Philosophy', because he was right about scepticism being the foundation of knowledge, and wrong about just about everything else. The effort of taking this work apart and re-examining the pieces was life altering.

2. One book you have read more than once?

1984, though I think I suspect I've re-read 'Neuromancer' more often.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?

The complete works of Shakespeare.

4. One book that made you laugh?

'Cat's Cradle' by Kurt Vonnegut

5. One book that made you cry?

'The World According to Garp'

6. One book you wish had been written?

Mine. But I'm working on that.

7. One book you wish had never had been written?

'Mein Kampf' comes to mind.

8. One book you are currently reading?

Best of Science Fiction Short Stories 2005 by Gardner Dozois.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?

'Paris 1919' - but I'll get to it.

10. Your oldest books?

A friend gave me a very old copy of 'The Time Machine' by HG Wells. For the most part (Bill's gift being the chief exception) the contents, not the age of the copy, were what mattered to me.

No comments: