25.7.05

Hilary vs Rockstar Games

Ok, I have to admit that I find myself deeply confused.

On the one hand we have senator Hilary getting all uppity and crusaderish (shades of Tipper Gore) by decrying the sex and violence of video games. A case of political opportunism if I have ever seen one.

On the other hand we have Eric Pfeiffer of The National Review - a magazine I usually use as a barometer for what is fundamentally sick with US intellectuals (and to keep track on David Frum), almost but not quite defending the freedom of speech aspect the games represent.

Do you see my dillemna? On the left a democrat ready to wage war on video games (don't they have better things to do, like say, overthrow Bush?), and on the lunatic right a Republican who almost finds fault with her for doing so, but can't quite make himself endorse or critique her.

These are strange times we live in to be sure.

No comments: